Celebrating diversity and making lemonade...

Celebrating diversity and making lemonade...

Sunday, April 5, 2015

What type of business is best for our farm...

What does Mark want for Easter dinner?



Farm Business Research

I have been thinking a lot about what type of business our farm should operate as.  I watched this webinar about different farm businesses.  If you click on the picture, you should go to the page that has the recorded webinar.



At one point, I was thinking about setting up the farm as a nonprofit.  Mostly because I have worked in nonprofits so I am familiar with the infrastructure.  However, to be a nonprofit, there are certain criteria you have to meet.  For example, you have to have an educational component to your nonprofit.  I like the idea of having people coming to the farm and learning about growing fruits or vegetables and health eating.  However, I realize that this is not our main reason for having our farm. The main reason is to provide a business for Mark and I to run.  Luckily, other skills that I have learned while directing a nonprofit will be useful in our farm business (like accounting, marketing, and communication).  So, after viewing this webinar, it looks like setting up a Limited Liability Company (LLC) will probably be the way to go.  The next thing I want to research are the "rules" for selling produce and farm products.

Another question that has entered my mind is, "When are we considered "farmers?"  I heard this definition of a farmer from the USDA on a podcast that I was listening to:

The U.S. Agriculture Department defines it (a farm) as "any place from which $1,000 or more of agricultural products were produced and sold, or normally would have been sold, during the year."

So, I guess I have here a good goal when we do get into production.  I have linked this definition to an article entitled, "USDA Definition of Farmer Twisted".

Garden Update:

I planted carrots and radish into the garden.  Everything is coming along nicely.  It has gotten cool again at nights so I have been covering my garden if it is getting closer to freezing.  The spinach was slow to germinate but has really taken off now...
Baby Spinach
 
Garlic

Find a Local Farm Update:

I ran into a good friend last week and she told me about Link'd Hearts Ranch.  They have pastured poultry.  You can click on this picture to visit their ranch.  I put in an order for some pastured poultry for the summer.  I am familiar with the farm because last summer, I was doing a lot of cycling and I went past their farm a few times on my long rides.  Also, there was a nice article in the local newspaper about their farm a couple of months ago.

My youngest said, "Well, I like chicken from the store so I bet I will like chicken from the farm."


In The Kitchen:

I picked up a "Rooted" magazine, a quarterly publication featuring articles about food systems, healthy eating, sustainability, and more!  The Moscow Coop prints this publication.  You can view the publication and the recipe I mention below by clicking on this picture: 
There was an article about pickling asparagus.  I LOVE anything pickled but have only made refrigerator pickles.  So, I decided to give this a try.  I just made them yesterday and it says to wait 48 hours before opening so I will let you know how they taste next week.


Happy Easter!



No comments:

Post a Comment