Celebrating diversity and making lemonade...

Celebrating diversity and making lemonade...

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Garden 2022

 In the Garden

The garden has been a little neglected this year because of the flower farming.  BUT...some things are finally starting to take off!  I know I probably sound like a broken record about this but the cool, wet spring really kept things from getting a good start.

My radishes grew well.  In fact, I had so many that I made some radish kimchi.  I liked it so much that I decided to plant some more radish called daikon radish and they grow like super big!  Like a foot long...we will see how this goes...

Cider enjoys hanging out in the garden!
Baby watermelon are so cute!  I think I saw a total of 4 watermelon growing...
Harvested this cabbage this last week and made a 1/2 gallon jar of sauerkraut.  It is fermenting now and will be finished next week...
The onions are doing well!
Here are the sweet potatoes.  I have tried to grow them the last 4 years with little success.  Feeling a little more optimistic this summer but we will see if there are any potatoes under those vines soon...
Some Jacob's Cattle Bens and celery in the background.
Pulled the garlic the end of July and it is about down drying down.
Basil and tomatoes!
Used the tall sunflowers as "poles" for some pole beans and I have just started harvesting some of the beans...
This cantaloupe vine looks amazing...waiting for the cantaloupes to develop! 
Tried a new heirloom zucchini variety called Cocozelle.  It is striped and we have too many!
The beet seeds got eaten by some birds so we only got a couple of beets.  I planted some more when I planted the daikon radish and they are coming up slowly.  Got a little bit of broccoli but then the flea beetles came in and demolished it.  Same with the kale and swiss chard...ugh...flea beetles!

Have an eggcellent day!
~Denise


No comments:

Post a Comment